Being pregnant and having a baby is an exciting experience.
Becoming a Mom is a prenatal education program created for pregnant women. The information provided is designed to improve participants' chances of having a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby. Classes serve as a source of social support for the women and allow them the opportunity to connect with other mothers in a similar situation.
The program has been implemented in a variety of settings, including community-based organizations, churches and worksites, and it is taught by trained facilitators. Becoming a Mom takes a holistic approach to caring for the family, using education that helps women enhance their well-being.
Signing Up is Easy and Free! Contact the Clay County Health Department at 785-632-3193.
Our programs we offer:
- Prenatal Education Class
- Parenting Education Class
Becoming A Mom - Prenatal Education Class
To improve the health of moms, so their baby’s are healthier, too. Join us as we share new parent information, meet other moms and dads in the area, and have fun getting ready for baby’s arrival!
What You'll Earn
Attend 6 Sessions - Choose One Item
Attend 5 Sessions - Choose One Item
Attend 4 Sessions - Choose One Item
- Mega Pack of Diapers
- Package of Wipes
- Bath Time Gift Set
In addition, you can get other gifts during sessions as well.
What you'll learn
- April 18, 2017 - Session 1: Keeping healthy during pregnancy, common discomforts, and dental health.
- May 2, 2017 - Session 2: Pregnancy Health: Learn how stress, certain foods, and many other things can affect your pregnancy.
- May 9, 2017 - Session 3: Signs and symptoms of preterm labor, preeclampsia-labor and delivery, true vs. false labor, and why the last weeks of pregnancy matter.
- May 16, 2017 - Session 4: Infant feeding, breastfeeding, breastfeeding positions, and breastfeeding complications.
- May 23, 2017 - Session 5: Infant care, period of purple crying, happiest baby on the block, SIDS risk reduction, and safe car seat installation
- May 25, 2017 - Session 6: Postpartum recovery, birth control, and health between pregnancies
Located: All Classes will be from 4:00pm - 6:00pm at the Clay County Health Department
Download Enrollment Form.pdf»
Childbirth Education Class
The childbirth education class is a 3-week session class offered one night a week (for 2-3 hours) or a 1-day class. All expecting mothers and support persons are welcomed. This course covers a variety of topics including: signs of labor, stages of labor, breathing and relaxation techniques, pain management, postpartum care, care of infant after delivery and infant CPR. The breastfeeding education class is a 2-3 hour class, one night only that is included in the Childbirth classes.
- April 3rd, 10th, 17th at 6:30pm - 8:30pm
- October 16th, 23rd, 30th at 6:30pm - 8:30pm
- July 8th at 8:00am - 1:00pm Saturday Session
Lead Instructors: Nicole Liby, OB Coordinator
Costs: This class is free of charge for all Clay Center Famuly Physicians and Special Delivery patients. Any patient not being served by CCFP or Special Delivery will be charged $40.00
Located: Clay County Medical Center
Contact: Nicole Liby, OB Coordinator Phone: 785-632-2144 Ext. 540